How to Keep Your New Year Resolutions

Setting Goals for the New Year

It is officially 2021! With the start of the new year, many of us are starting to think about mindset shifts we can make and how we can make this year better than the last. There are great advantages to setting goals or working towards mindset shifts at any time of year but we love the enthusiasm that comes with the new year! 

According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychology… 46% of people who set New Year’s resolutions had stuck with them a year later versus only 4% of non resolution makers who wanted to make a change somewhere down the line. 

2020 was a rough one, but we are still doing our best to pursue health in all the things. At Higher Health we are always about excellence and self improvement so let’s dive in! 

Tips on how to reach your goals this year

Today we hope to share some tips to help you achieve and stick with your resolutions! While we love that 46% of resolution makers stuck with their goal, we want to help the other 54% too! 

  1. Be specific : when making resolutions, it will be easier to reach your goal if you are very specific! Instead of saying *read more* maybe say reading 1 book per month or 100 pages a week! By being specific you can measure your success and are more likely to stick with your resolution. 
  2. Don’t give up : just because you may have missed a week or a couple days out of your resolution, don’t give up! Every day is a great day to better yourself and you can start again. That’s not failure, that’s resilience and we are here for it!
  3. Find support : surround yourself with people who will cheer you on in self betterment! Whether you’re trying to stop smoking, drinking, eat better, or be kinder, and if the company you keep is not helping you reach your goals or supporting you, maybe it’s time to readjust and make room for like minded people to inspire you instead of bringing you down. 
  4. Be realistic : set attainable goals that you are likely to follow through with and are able to mentally visualize and get behind. If you are not mentally prepared to exercise everyday for an hour then maybe adjust and make your resolution to break a sweat three times a week! If you’re not ready to fully give up coffee or beer or go vegan maybe start by a dry Tuesday or meatless Mondays! 
  5. Write them down : write your goals down! Talk about them. Share them with others. Write down why they are important to stick with and the benefits they will bring. The more important they are to you, the more you are likely to follow through with them! 
  6. See a chiropractor : Chiropractic care helps our bodies function optimally and allows us to truly thrive. Misalignments in our spine can mess with how we feel and function and negatively impact us. There are 3 things that cause misalignments or subluxations in the spine. We call them the 3Ts and they are : thoughts, traumas, and toxins. Thoughts, which can be anything from negative thinking to emotional stress to relationship issues, account for *at least* 80% of all subluxations. While it is important for us to feel our best as we go through all of life, it’s  especially vital when we are making big changes, healing from previous trauma, or seeking to better ourselves! Having an aligned spine can give you the motivation, the positivity, and the perseverance to stick with the goals you set for yourself this year, and may be just the boost you are needing! 

In life and health and in all the things, our staff at Higher Health is here to cheer you on and support you. 

Whenever we choose to try something new, there are bound to be bumps along the way. Know that we are so proud of you for showing up and doing the work to be a better you. Please know that we are here and would love to help in any way we can! 

Reach out to us, send us an email, or tell us at your next appointment what New Year’s resolutions you are making this year! Happy 2021 friends and hope to see you soon! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goskills.com/Soft-Skills/Resources/Top-10-new-years-resolutions/AMP

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11920693/